Link to original recipe via BBC good food https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/green-bean-mac-n-cheese
- 30 g butter or 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp plain or wholemeal flour
- 500 ml milk
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 350g macaroni (or other pasta tubes)
- 185g sliced runner and 220g green beans (combine as you prefer)
- 140g mature cheddar cheese (half chopped, half grated)
- 25g pumpkin seeds (optional)
- peppery salad (such as rocket & watercress), to serve (optional)
- Put the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, add the flour and stir well.
- Turn off/remove from heat while you slowly pour in a little of the milk at a time and mix well until smooth. Add a little more milk, repeating until all the milk has been added and you have a smooth sauce.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and continue to stir sauce until thickened.
- Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Take off the heat while you cook the pasta.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the macaroni and boil for 8 mins.
- Add the runner beans and green beans, and boil for a further 3 mins.
- Drain the pasta and the beans, and tip into a large gratin dish.
- Pour over the prepared sauce and tuck the chopped cheese in among the pasta, then top with the grated cheese and pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until the top is bubbling and golden. Serve with a peppery salad, if you like.